The Illinois Aerospace Institute (IAI) summer camp is a one-week residential program for students entering grades 9-12 who are interested in learning about the fields of aerospace engineering and aviation. Though most of the students who attend are from the Midwest, students come to us from all over the U.S. and internationally. Many campers have some sort of experience with the aerospace field, through model rockets, remote control airplanes, or having a family member who is a pilot, but no experience is necessary, just an interest in learning about the field of aerospace engineering. The Institute is held on the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Students stay at in a University or University-certified residence hall with live-in camp counselors. Students will learn about a variety of topics regarding aerospace engineering through classroom sessions, laboratories, demonstrations, and hands-on activities.
The $1000 fee includes lodging, all meals, and instructional costs. Fee payment deadlines are as follows:
- April 15, 2020 – If accepted, deadline for completing camp registration form. Also, a non-refundable $50 deposit must be submitted.
- May 15, 2020 – Last day to submit full payment for Session 1.
- June 1, 2020 – Last day to withdraw from Session 1 and receive a 50% refund of camp tuition.
- June 15, 2020 – Last day to submit full payment for Session 2.
- June 30, 2020 – Last day to withdraw from Session 2 and receive a 50% refund of camp tuition.
Limited financial aid is available based on need.
Application deadline is March 1. Enrollment in each session is limited to the first 40 qualified applicants with completed applications, so apply early. An application is not considered complete until all student entries and teacher recommendation are submitted.
The Illinois Aerospace Institute is sponsored by the Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Illinois.